intervista

« Older   Newer »
†vale93kotor†
view post Posted on 15/9/2008, 14:54

SPOILER (click to view)
per la traduzione ringraziamo l'imnotok e thesoundfaction per l'intervista

About a year ago, I got an IM from a friend of mine, telling me she found this really awesome band through Skeleton Crew, Frank Iero's (Of My Chemical Romance fame) record label / clothing company / general awesomeness. She sent me an mp3 and, trusting her taste, I listened and absolutely loved it. It was raw and loud and violent and I immiediately thought that this was 'let's go in the pit and beat the sh*t out of people' music, which let's be honest, everyone needs every now and then. This band was Leathermouth, I added them on MySpace and kept an eye on everything, listened to the music and the screams and every now and then was reminded of someone, and I couldn't understand it.

As it turns out, those screams that accompanied the aggressive music, belonged to Mr Iero himself. And when myself, Jen, Natty and Ed went to Buffalo last weekend (Sept 6th) to see the band live, we found Frank and he agreed to talk to us about how the band came to be, the differences between being with Leathermouth and My Chemical Romance, and how, well, sometimes he just wants to stop time and take a nap.

"It doesn't have any answers, it's just full of complaints."
- Frank Iero

For our readers who don't know who you are; Roll Call! Who are you, and what do you do for the band?

Geez, uh... I'm Frank Iero. I play guitar in some bands, play bass in other bands, and I sing in other bands.

So how did Leathermouth come to be?

Well, originally it started, a couple of friends of mine, they were in another band around Jersey they wanted to do another band. And they wrote a couple of songs, like, three songs, just a demo, and I heard it, and they were going to have their friend sing and I really liked the band, I wanted to work with them somehow. I was going on tour so much that I couldn't do it. So I came back a couple of months later, the kid never wrote lyrics or anything, and they're like "Ah, I guess we're not gonna do it," and I kinda got bummed about it, so I was like "Alright, give me a week," I wrote some lyrics, and we just got together in a practice studio and did it.

Over the past I guess, year and a half, we've just been recording in each other basements and put together a record.

For those who haven't seen Leathermouth live, what can they expect from your live show?

That's... kinda it, I mean, every show- even though this has been our first tour- and every shows been completely different from the next. I think the kind of fun thing is you don't know what to expect. Leathermouth is kind of like, the anti-band, y'know? I've been in bands my entire life, and you know how you get up there and there's certain things you're supposed to say? Like "Oh, is everyone having a good time?" It really doesn't matter. It's just about getting up there and getting everything out and when it's done, hopefully everyone is still standing.

Well it works. It was awesome.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

What exactly inspires your lyrics?

Oh man, uh, well... When writing Leathermouth stuff it's really just the kind of things that are happening in the world today that we don't like to think about, y'know? The things that you hear on the news every time you turn the channel. It doesn't have any answers, it's just full of complaints. It's basically just talking about how messed up everything is and talking about how everything is okay but it's not going to be okay.

It's kind of like ranting in song form?

Yeah.

Nice.

I basically do it so I don't go crazy.

That's... a good reason to do it. *laughs* Your logo, the circle with the line through it, does it have a purpose?

Yeah, it's the symbol for nothing.

That makes sense. So we know there's an album coming out, but what else can we expect to see from you guys in the future?

Well, uhm... you can expect me to take some time off I think. *laughs* But it's weird, I had time off. We stopped doing My Chemical Romance in the summer, and I started a couple of other projects and stuff like that because I just really like to play. But now that I've been out, again, on tour, I kind of want to go home and just have some time with my dogs, and just be home.

But, I might do like another short tour, right now we're talking about signing the record to a label and it's coming together pretty well, so I think by either the end of this year, early next year, a Leathermouth record will be out, probably another week or two of tours, and then I'll go back to My Chem.

Don't hold me to it.

So what fuels your passion for what you do? Because obviously, you just said yourself you're so busy. You just finished with My Chem, you started doing this, what is it that keeps you going?

I don't know. I guess uh.. what's weird is the passion keeps you passionate. Does that make any sense?

Self feeding?

Yeah, it's weird! It's hard to explain to somebody that hasn't gotten the bug. When you get bit by this touring thing, or this music thing it's all you can think about, it's all you can do, it's the only way you know how to relate your true self. If I was just going about my normal day, I'd probably freak out. Because for me, that thirty minutes on stage, or that half hour... Which...

Are the same?

Which would be thirty minutes. *laughs* Glad you picked up on that. Or forty-five minutes or whatever it is that's the time where you just get to let everything go and just be whoever you are. The rest is just putting on a mask and going through your day and having people not run away from you.

If you were in charge of the music business right now, what would be the first thing you'd do?

I'd kill the internet.

Kill the internet?

Yeah. *laughs* I think people know too much about things that they enjoy. I think it takes away if you can go on the world wide web or whatever and find out everything that you could possibly know about something in five seconds. It takes away a lot, you know? I think some stuff should be secret, some things should be private. This day and age, everyone needs it right now, and if you're not getting it in three seconds, you don't care anymore. And I think that sucks.

That does suck. Okay, the only My Chem related question, I promise. How does touring with Leathermouth differ from touring with My Chem?

I gotta load shit! *laughs* It's crazy, you know, going on this tour it's been amazing, because I'm touring with friends I've known for so long, and it's rad, I get to hang out with my best friend Hambone and Eddie, and Rob and stuff, and James who I've known for years, and it's really, really chill, really laid back, but it's completely different then touring with My Chem.

We were really, really lucky with My Chem, we go all over the world and we'd do a lot of press and other things and there's a lot of work involved, but there's a lot of stuff, like setting up your own merch and just doing the day to day stuff that you don't think about anymore. And coming back to this tour it's great. I guess you feel very fortunate to be able to do what you do. It's rad though, I get to just hang out, and sleep all day and play shows at night. I'm really psyched.

So it's kind of like going back to the basics?

Yeah! It's weird, My Chem, we toured a lot, and it was a very gradual thing, like more kids would come to shows, but then all of a sudden shows got really big, and then you just kind of woke up one day and it was like, 'woah, what the fuck? What happened?' And a lot of us started to get really bad anxieties about stuff like going on stage and things and it definitely gets to you when you're just a kid from Jersey that writes music, and you get on stage and there's thousands of people. And most of those people are there just to hate you sometimes. It gets weird, you know?

So to do this it's funny, it gives you your confidence back to get back up in front of people, and there's not that many people, and you try to relate to the stage better... it's definitely a wake up call. It's fun.

Is there any specific creative process you go through when you're writing any of your music?

It's just writing what you like to hear, and different melodies that pop out. It could be something as different as playing a different guitar. Say you're working on a song, right? And you have this one guitar you're playing on, and the song's not coming through, maybe you put that guitar down and pick up another one and it just forces you to do something different.

And suddenly it all works?

Yeah. It's weird the way that music works that way, and art just in general. It's just really muddling your way through it and trying to come up with something you really like. .

Trying to pick apart all the pieces to make something whole?

Trying to reinvent yourself, yeah.

What's your favourite Leathermouth lyric and why?

Oh man, I don't know. It's one of those things where a lot of the things I say in Leathermouth, I'm not really proud of.

Goes back to that ranting?

Yeah. That's the thing, I originally wanted to do it very honestly, but it's hard to do because of the internet and things of that nature. But I don't know, I don't think I'm proud of any of them. I'm not proud that I feel that way about certain things, but I think it's better than holding it inside.

It's better to be honest and let it all out then pretend not to.

They're going to hate you for it anyway.

Music means something to everyone, so what does making music that means something to the people that go to your shows... what does that mean to you?

It's... I don't even know how to put that into words. To write something in your basement or your house or your room or somewhere and be like, this is what I'm feeling right now, and this is what I want to put across into my art. And then all of a sudden, months later kids that you never thought you would meet in countries you never thought you would go to, say hey, that song that you wrote really meant this to me, or that, and maybe it's not the exact same thing you were thinking but it helped them in some way? And it's shocking. It kind of knocks the breath out of you, like wow, I can't believe I'm doing that.

*laughs* Like wow I really did something right!

Yeah, or wrong! *laughs* you never know, depending, right? But that's the thing. It's shocking to know that people are actually listening to you.

I can believe that.

You know what I mean?

Yeah, I do. So us at The Sound Faction are pretty much some of the most random people you will ever meet. So with every interview, no matter how serious it's been or whatever, we always try to end it with five random questions, just to make everyone laugh, or we try to, at least.

Okay. I'll laugh.

Did you have a favourite bath toy when you were a kid?

Bath toy... oh man, I had a wind up diver.

Oh man! I had one of those too. *laughs* They were awesome. Do you have a favourite dinosaur?

Yeah. I guess. ...I think. Well... yeah. Yeah and no.

Yeah and no? ...And... It would be? *laughs*

*laughs* That wasn't the question, was that part of the question?

Yeah, true, I worded that wrong. Sorry. *laughs*

It's alright. I mean,T-Rex is always fun, but Velociraptors were a lot more...

Vicious?

Vicious, yeah. I kinda like Wooly Mammoths, but is that a dinosaur really? It's kind of like a mammal..

I don't think it's a dinosaur so much as a devolved elephant...

Well, I like Elephants.

If you could have any nonstandard superpower, like anything you wouldn't really see in a comic book, what would it be?

I always wanted the power to stop time. Just pause everything and go take a nap. I don't know it's that's a superpower...

Yeah.

Yeah? But would you see that in a comic book though? I guess so, you'd see people stopping time... That's all I've really ever wanted to do though.

Stop time?

Yeah. Stop time. I'm better when I have my time to myself.

I like your idea of going and stopping time to go take a nap so you haven't lost anything. That's awesome. If you were a scented candle, what would you smell like?

I'd smell like shit. *laughs* I'm kind of a scented candle right now, and tour is not treating me well. Whatever I do smell like, I don't want to smell like it anymore.

Go take a nice shower *laughs*

I'm ready for a shower, yeah!

What's your favourite song on guitar hero?

I like playing 'Mother'. You can always rock out to 'Mother'.

Alright!

Alright, thank you very much!

TRADUZIONE FATTA DA MICKY

Circa un anno fa, ho ricevuto un'e-mail da un amcio, che diceva di aver trovato questa bellissima band attraverso la Skeleton Crew, l'etichetta discografica / compagnia di abbigliamento / meraviglie in generale di Frank Iero (dei My Chemical Romance). Mi spedì un audio mp3 e, fidandomi dei suoi gusti, l'ho ascoltata e mi sono innamorata di questa band. Era grezza e violenta e ho immediatamente pensato che era una musica da 'andiamo nel pozzo e spaventiamo a morte la gente', di cui ad essere sinceri, tutti hanno bisogno. Questa band sono i Leathermouth, li ho aggiunti su MySpace e ho tenuto un occhio su ogni cosa, ascoltato la musica e gli urli.

Questi urli che accompagnano la musica aggressiva, appartengono allo stesso Mr Iero. E quando io, Jen, Natty e Ed siamo andati a Buffalo la settimana scorsa (6 Settembre) per vedere live la band, abbiamo trovato Frank e ha concordato nel parlare con noi riguardo a come è nata la band, le differenze nell'essete nei Leathermouth e nei My Chemical Romance, e come, bhe, qualche volta vuole soltanto fermarsi e farsi un pisolino.

"Non c'è alcuna risposta, è semplicemente pieno di lamentele."
- Frank Iero

Per i nostri lettori che non vi conoscono, chi siete e cosa fate per la band?

Certo, uh... Io sono Frank Iero. Suono la chitarra in alcune band, suono il basso in altre band, e canto in altre band.

Quindi come sono nati i Leathermouth?

Bhe, originariamente iniziò con un paio di miei amici, che erano in un'altra band in giro per il New Jersey e che volevano fare un'altra band. E loro hanno scritto un paio di canzoni, tipo, tre canzoni, solo dei demo, e io li ho ascoltati, e loro dovevano far venire un loro amico per cantare e mi è veramente piaciuta la band, volevo lavorare con loro in qualche modo. Ero in tour così tanto che non potevo farlo. Quindi sono tornato un paio di mesi dopo, i ragazzi non avevano scritto testi o qualcos'altro, ed erano tipo "Ah, immagino che non lo faremo" e in un certo senso io ho scroccato, e quindi ero tipo "va bene, datemi una settimana," Ho scritto alcuni testi, ci siamo ritrovati in uno studio e lo abbiamo fatto.

In questo periodo, credo un anno e mezzo, abbiamo registrato nei nostri scantinati e abbiamo messo insieme un disco.

Per coloro che non hanno visto i Leathermouth live, cosa si posso aspettare dai vostri show live?

Quello che ... quello che è, intendo, ogni show -anche se questo è stato il nostro primo tour- è completamente diverso dal successivo. Credo che la cosa divertente sia che non sai cosa aspettarti. I Leathermouth sono un po' come l'anti-band, capisci? Sono stato in band per tutta la mia vita, e sai come si va sul palco e che ci sono determinate cose che dovresti dire? Come "Oh, vi state tutti divertendo?" Davvero, non importa. Si tratta solo di salire lì sopra e di urlare ogni cosa e quando è finito, fortunatamente tutti sono ancora lì.

Bhe, funziona E' stato fantastico.

Grazie, Lo apprezzo.

Cosa esattamente ti ispira nei tuoi testi?

Aiuto, uh, bhe ... scrivere le cose dei Leathermouth è davvero scrivere solamente riguardo il tipo di cose che stanno succedendo nel mondo oggi e che non ci piace pensare, capisci? le cose che senti al notiziario ogni volta che cambi canale. Non c'è alcuna risposta, è semplicemente pieno di lamentele. Principalmente è parlare riguardo quanto incasinata sia ogni cosa e parlare riguardo quanto ogni cosa sia okay ma che non andrà più okay.

E' un po' come fare un discorso sotto forma di canzone?

Esatto.

Carino.

Principalmente faccio così per non impazzire.

Questa è ... una buona ragione per farlo. *ride* Il vostro logo, il cerchio con la linea che lo attraversa, ha uno scopo?

Certo, è il simbolo per il niente.

C'è un senso. Dunque, sappiamo che sta per uscire un album, ma cos'altro possiamo aspettarci di vedere da voi ragazzi nel futuro?

Bhe, uhm ... potete aspettarvi di vedere me prendere una pausa penso. *ride* Ma è strano. Ci siamo fermati con i My Chemical Romance in estate, e io ho iniziato un paio di altri progetti e cose così perchè mi piace veramente tanto suonare. ma ora che sono stato via, di nuovo, in tour, ho come voglia di andare a casa e stare un po' di tempo con i miei cani e semplicemente essere a casa.

Ma, potrei forse fare un altro piccolo tour, proprio ora stiamo pensando di firmare con un'etichetta e sta uscendo abbastanza bene, quindi io credo che alla fine di quest'anno, quasi 2009, uscirà un cd dei Leathermouth record, probabilmente ci sarà un'altra settimana o due di tour, e poi tornerò dai My Chem.

Quindi cosa rifornisce la tua passione per ciò che fai? Perchè ovviamente, hai appena detto di essere molto impegnato. Hai appena finito con i My Chem, hai iniziato a fare questo, cosa ti fa continuare?

Non lo so. Credo uh ... quello che è strano è la passione che ti tiene appassionato. Ha senso?

Auto nutrimento?

Sì, è strano! E' difficile da spiegare a qualcuno che non è stato infettato dal virus. Quando vieni morso da questa cosa dei tour, o da questa cosa della musica, è tutto ciò a cui pensi, è tutto ciò che puoi fare, è l'unico modo che conosci per riferirsi a te stesso. Se io vivessi dei giorni normali, probabilmente impazzirei. Perchè per me, quei trenta minuti sul palco, o quella mezz'ora ... che ...

E' lo stesso?

... che sarebbe trenta minuti. *ride* Sono contento che l'hai capito. O quarantacinque minuti o quello che vuoi, quello è il momento dove lasci andare tutto e sei te stesso. Il resto è mettee una maschera e passare per la tua giornata e avere persone che non scappano da te.

Se tu fossi il responsabile del business musicale ora, quale sarebbe la prima cosa che faresti?

Ucciderei Internet.

Uccidere Internet?

Sì. *ride* Credo che la gente conosce troppo riguardo cose che gli piacciono. Credo che porti via (i libri) se puoi andare sul web mondiale e trovare ogni cosa che potresti sapere riguardo qualcosa in cinque secondi. Porta via un sacco, sai? penso che alcune cose dovrebbero essere segrete, certe cose dovrebbero essere private. I questi giorni e anni, tutti ne hanno bisogno, e se non trovi qualcosa in tre secondi, non te ne frega più. E credo che questo faccia schifo.

Fa schifo davvero. Okay, l'unica domanda riguardo i My Chemical Romance, lo prometto. Da cosa differisce il tour dei Leathermouth con quello dei My Chem?

I gotta load shit! *ride* E' da pazzi, sai, fare questo tour è stato fantastico, perchè l'ho fatto con amici che conosco da tanto tempo, ed è fondamentale, esco con i miei migliori amici Hambone e Eddie, e Rob e cose così, e James che conosco da anni, ed è davvero, davvero gelido, davvero divertente, ma è completamente diverso dal tour con i My Chem.

Siamo stati davvero, davvero fortunati con i My Chem, andiamo per tutto il mondo e facciamo un sacco di interviste e altre cose e c'è molto lavoro coinvolto, ma ci sono molte cose, come scegliere la propria merce e e fare giorno per giorno cose a cui non pensi più. E tornare a questo tour è fantastico. Credo che ti senti molto fortunato ad essere capace a fare ciò che fai. Sebbene sia importante, io esco o dormo tutto il giorno e suono durante la notte. Sono davvero spiritico.

Quindi è come essere tornati alle origini?

Sì! E' strano, con i My Chem, facciamo un sacco di tour, ed è stata una cosa molto graduale, cioè più ragazzi sarebbero venuti agli show, ma poi all'improvviso gli show sono diventati enormi, e poi è come se tu ti svegliassi un giorno ed è come, 'woah, ma che cazzo? Cosa succede?' E molti di noi hanno iniziato ad essere ansiosi riguardo le cose come salire sul palco e sicuramente ti cattura quando sei solo un ragazzo del New Jersey che scrive musica, e poi sali sul palco e ci sono migliaia di persone. E la maggior parte di quelle persone sono lì per odiarti qualche volta. Diventa strano, capisci?

Quindi fare questo è divertente, ti ridà la confidenza per tornare sul palco di fronte alla gente,e non ci sono così tante persone, e cerchi di relazionarsi meglio al palco... è sicuramente una chiamata per svegliarti. E' divertimento.

C'è qualche specifico processo creativo che attraversi quando scrivi la tua musica?

E' solo scrivere ciò che ti piace sentire, e sono diverse melodie che scoppiano fuori. Potrebbe essere qualcosa tanto diverso quanto suonare una chitarra diversa. Dici che stai lavorando su una canzone, giusto? E c'è questa unica chitarra con cui la stai suonando, e la canzone non funziona, forse metti giù la chitarra e ne prendi un'altra che ti obbliga a fare qualcosa di diverso.

E improvvisamente tutto funziona?

Esatto. E' strano il modo in cui la musica funziona, e l'arte in generale. E' davvero confusionale il modo con cui provi a trovare qualcosa che ti piace veramente.

Provare a metter da parte tutti i pezzi per fare qualcosa di intero?

Provare a 'reinventarti', sì.

Qual'è il tuo testo preferito dei Leathermouth e perchè?

Oh Dio, non lo so. E' una di quelle cose dove molte cose che dico nei Leathermouth, non ne sono fiero.

Torna indietro a quel discorso?

Sì. Questo è il fatto, originariamente volevo farlo molto onestamente, ma è difficile da fare a causa di Internet e delle cose della natura. Ma non lo so, non credo di essere fiero dei testi. Non sono fiero di sentirmi in quel modo riguardo certe cose, ma credo che sia meglio che tenersele dentro.

E' meglio essere onesti e dire tutto che pretendere di non farlo.

Comunque, ti odieranno per questo.

La musica significa qualcosa per chiunque, quindi fare musica che significa qualcosa per la gente che viene ai tuoi show ... cosa significa per te?

E' ... non so nemmeno come dirlo a parole. Scrivere qualcosa nello scantinato o in casa tua o nella tua stanza o da qualche parte ed essere come, così è come mi sento ora, e questo è ciò che voglio mettere nella mia arte. E poi all'improvviso, mesi dopo i ragazzi che mai avresti pensato di incontrare in paesi che non avresti mai pensato di visitare, dicono hey, quella canzone che hai scritto significa proprio questo per me, e magari non è la stessa identica cosa a cui tu stavi pensando ma aiuta qualcuno in qualche modo? Ed è scioccante. E' come se ti bloccasse il respiro, come wow, non posso crederci che lo stia facendo.

*ride* Come wow ho davvero fatto qualcosa di giusto!

Sì, ho sbagliato! *ride* non lo sai mai, dipende, giusto? Ma questo è il punto. E' scioccante sapere che la gente i ascolta.

Ci credo.

Sai cosa intendo?

Sì. Noi alla Sound Faction siamo le persone più causali che voi incontrerete. Quindi con ogni intervista, non importa quanto seria sia, cerchiamo sempre di finirla con cinque domande casuali, così per far ridere tutti, o almeno ci proviamo.

Ok, Io riderò.

Avevi un giocattolo preferito per il bagnetto quando eri piccolo?

Un giocattolo per il bagnetto ... oddio, avevo un subacqueo giocattolo.

Oddio! Anche io ne avevo uno. *ride* Erano fantastici. Hai un dinosauro preferito?

Certo. Credo. ... Penso. Bhe ... sì. Sì e no.

Sì e no? ... e ... sarebbe? *ride*

*ride* Questa non era la domanda, era parte della domanda?

Sì, è vero, l'ho posta male. Scusa. *ride*

Va bene. Voglio dire, il T-Rex è sempre fantastico, ma il Velociraptors era molto di più...

Maligno?

Cattivo, sì. E poi mi piacevano abbastanza i Mammut, ma sono dinosauri? E' una specie di mammifero..

Non credo sia un dinosauro, ma un elefante primitivo ...

Bhe, mi piacciono gli elefanti.

Se potessi avere un super potere fuori dagli standard, qualsiasi cosa che non potresti mai vedere nei fumetti, cosa sarebbe?

Ho sempre voluto il potere di fermare il tempo. Semplicemente mettere tutto in pausa e andare a fare un pisolino. Non so se è un super potere ...

Sì.

Sì? Ma lo vedresti in un fumetto? Immagino di sì, vedresti persone fermare il tempo ... questo è quello che ho sempre voluto fare.

Fermare il tempo?

Sì. Fermare il tempo. Sono migliore quando ho tempo per me stesso.

Mi piace la tua idea di fermare il tempo e fare un pisolino così che non ti perdi niente. E' magnifica.
Se tu fossi una candela profumata, come odoreresti?

Odorerei come merda. *ride* Effettivamente, al momento sono come una candela profumata, ed il tour non migliora le cose. Qualsiasi sia il mio odore, non voglio odorare così mai più.

Vai a farti una bella doccia *ride*

Sono pronto per una doccia, sì!

Qual'è la tua canzone preferita a Guitar Hero?

Mi piace suonare 'Mother'. Puoi sempre scatenarti con 'Mother'.

ed ecco il video

†Miss Gusty†By Urto
view post Posted on 15/9/2008, 16:40

Uhhhh dice ke nel 2009 ritorna ai my chem *ç* allora.. chissà se è previsto qlk cosa cn i my chem *asd*

†vale93kotor†
view post Posted on 15/9/2008, 16:57

boh...si spera xD

2 replies since 15/9/2008, 14:54   100 views